Saturday, June 2, 2007

I Screamed Because I Saw Death...

If I hadn't been discussing this story at lunch, I would probably be content to never again let it slip out to another soul... but I haven't written anything lately so the walls will come down and I can once again share my obsurdity with you.Okay, so I don't know if this goes hand in hand with the whole anxiety thing or not, but I do not sleep like a normal human being. I don't awaken lightly from a sleep and I assume the worst... subconciously about what is waking me up. I also used to sleep walk as a kid and speak in tongues... but that's a whole other can of worms.So, here we are at the lovely and crowded Panera Bread enjoying our vegetarian soup (neither of us vegetarians) and I told Kelly about this one time when I had gotten my first apartment alone. Mike had come over and we were working on some project for school together. It had gotten really late so he just stayed at my apartment, I think it was his first time ever staying at that apartment with me. I was exhausted and I am the kind of person who could sleep standing up.... on one leg.... in the middle of a hurricane... so I was out the second my head hit the pillow. Now, there is this crack head that lives below me with some pit bulls and a very loud, very angry girlfriend (another set of stories for a rainy day, right there) and something banged and I began to slowly drift out of my deep sleep. I opened my eyes only to see, in all the darkness of my room, none other than the grim reaper! I seriously saw death. Too terrified to move I just screamed. Mike sat up and was like: "WHAT?!" and as my brain began to catch up with... well.... my sleep brain... (what?) I realized that it wasn't DEATH it was my comforter folded in a way that it had come to a point directly in front of my face. Even Mike admitted that it did look A LITTLE like the grim reaper, but man, it scared the hell out of me! So I haven't outgrown my childhood issues of deep, deep, sleep. Fortunately I was never a bed wetter, I just spoke chinese or something. It happened again fairly recently. Midas was sprawled out between me and mike on the bed. He likes to take up as much space as possible so he kicks and stretches and I was dead asleep when his leg brushed against me and I sat up and yelled. Of course Mike had the same reaction: "WHAT?!" and this time I just yelled: "RATS!" I had nothing to base that off of and I think I was still about 70 percent asleep but rats seemed like the answer. No, it was not rats, it was Midas. But good lord. This happens whenever my alarm goes off or anything when I am in a deep sleep. Anything that wakes me up is automatically some kind of horrible thing happening. Usually I am just so confused for a good minute upon hearing the alarm that I don't even know what it is. I also went through a period of time in high school where I would consistently wake up in the middle of the night and be completely unable to comprehend the meaning of what time it was, if that makes sense. Does anyone else have any weird ass sleep stories? Maybe I'm just crazy... but you better not tell me because you never know when I could show up at your house in my sleep.... with an axe.....

No comments:

Pay Attention: